Girolamo Francesco Maria Mazzola, called Parmigianino (1503–1540) The Madonna and Child with the Young Saint John the Baptist and Mary Magdalene, c. 1535–40 Oil on paper, laid on panel, 75.5 x 59.7 cm, bought by Sir John Taylor and inherited by Anna Susanna Taylor (later Watson). In February 2017 a temporary export bar was imposed to prevent the move of the picture, owned by the Dent-Brocklehursts of Sudeley Castle, to the Getty.
Cardinal Antonio Barberini (1607–1671), Palazzo Barberini, Rome, first mentioned in the 1644 inventory, no. 308; and again in his posthumous inventory of 1671, no. 143; thence by inheritance to his nephew, Prince Maffeo Barberini (1631–1685), Palazzo alle Quattro Fontane, Rome, listed in the 1672 inventory of Cardinal Antonio Barberini’s bequests to his brother, Cardinal Francesco Barberini, and nephew, Prince Maffeo Barberini, no. 62; and again in Prince Maffeo’s posthumous inventory of 1686, no. 273; thence by descent to his son, Prince Urbano Barberini, Prince of Palestrina (1664–1722), listed in an undated inventory (probably 1686) of the paintings inherited by Prince Urbano from his father, no. 19; thence by descent in the Barberini collection until ‘Brought from Barberini Palace, Rome, by Gavin Hamilton, for Sir John Taylor, Bart’ (according to a handwritten note by H. Isherwood Kay in his copy of the catalogue of the pictures at Basildon Park, held at the National Gallery Library); Sir John Taylor, 1st Bt. (1745–1786), of Lyssons Hall, Jamaica; his deceased sale, London, Christie’s, 27 April 1788, lot 66 (‘A Holy Family by Parmegiano, a Chef D’Oeuvre of this great Master, and esteemed One of the finest Pictures in Europe’ and described in the sale catalogue as ‘The Madonna, with St. Catherine, the Infant Saviour and St. John, known and ever esteemed the most capital picture of this great master, and may vie with the best of Raphael’s works’), £425.5s.0d to Fuhr (bought in); thence by descent to his son, Sir Simon Richard Brisset Taylor, 2nd Bt. (1783–1815); thence by inheritance to his sister, Anna Susanna (1781–1853), who in 1810 married George Watson of Erlestoke Park (who in turn assumed the additional surname of Taylor); George Watson-Taylor, M.P. (1771–1841), Erlestoke Park, near Devizes, Wiltshire; Erlestoke Park Sale, George Robins, 25 July 1832, lot 155 (‘The Virgin Mary, Elizabeth, Infant Jesus and Saint John’ by Parmigianino); James Morrison (1789–1857), Basildon Park, by 1845 (see Exhibition History) and where seen by Waagen in 1854 (see Bibliography); thence by descent to his son, Charles Morrison (1817–1909), Basildon Park; thence by inheritance to his brother, Walter Morrison (1836–1921), Basildon Park; thence by inheritance to his nephew, Capt. James Archibald Morrison (1873–1934), Basildon Park; thence by descent to his daughter, Mary (b. 1902), who in 1924 married Major John Henry Dent-Brocklehurst (d. 1949) of Sudeley Castle; thence by descent to their son, Mark Dent-Brocklehurst (d. 1972); thence by inheritance.