Profile & Legacies Summary
Slave-owner in Jamaica, who died sometime before 1809.
- The estate was owned by Mr John Swanson, who died 25 years ago. The estate devolved to two nieces in this country [Scotland], managed by one of their sons, John Macllean, who went out to Jamaica and died about 18 years ago. Since then the estate has been under the management of Alexander Maclean; no accounts of his management have ever been obtained. Two years ago a power of attorney was sent to Wm. Miller, 'but as Mr Miller informed that he intended leaving that country for Britain', his clients (Mrs Maclean of Thurso, Scotland) and Mrs Sutherland, Leith) are concerned that Alexander Maclean will claim the compensation.
T71/1606 Letter Dated 10/05/1836 from W. Manson Writer [to the Signet]; T71/1593 p. 192 16/05/1836; Letter, dated 30/01/1843, from John Todd, 13 Gilmore Place, Edinburgh, stating: the brother of John or Jonathan Swanson of the Vigass [?] estate has just become aware that a sum was due him from the Slave Compensation Fund; he had heard that distant relatives had made an application.
Associated Claims (1)
Associated Estates (1)
The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:
- SD - Association Start Date
- SY - Association Start Year
- EA - Earliest Known Association
- ED - Association End Date
- EY - Association End Year
- LA - Latest Known Association
1809 [EA] - 1839 [LA] → Previous owner