Profile & Legacies Summary
John Murphy, partner with Sir William Duff Gordon (q.v.) in Gordon, Murphy & Co. (q.v.), and with Duff Gordon shown as owner of an estate called Plantation Profit, Success and Relief in British Guiana in the 1818 registration.
- Nothing further has been traced to date of John Murphy in the English census or in probate records. David Alston shows John Murphy as later living in Portland Place. Edward Murphy, the son of John and Anna Murphy of 18 Portland Place, was born 05/02/1847 and baptised in Dublin 07/03/1847, but John Murphy the partner in Gordon, Murphy until 1818 would have been relatively old to have been the father of Edward Murphy.
Wine merchant and West India merchant
Associated Estates (1)
The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:
- SD - Association Start Date
- SY - Association Start Year
- EA - Earliest Known Association
- ED - Association End Date
- EY - Association End Year
- LA - Latest Known Association
1817 [EA] - 1825 [LA] → Joint owner