Profile & Legacies Summary
???? - 1795
Former partner of John Pate Rose (q.v.), with whom he was shown as co-owner of Mount Hindmost in Jamaica in 1757. He was probably but not certainly the man whose will is summarised below, and likely to have been the grandson of the William Axtell Doctor of Physick of Port Royal Jamaica whose will (made in 1720) was proved 06/10/1725, from the family of the regicide Daniel Axtell.
- The will of William Axtell of Chertsey Surrey [made in 1794] was proved 09/09/1795. In the will he made a series of bequests without further explanation of the legatees. He left his English property to Mary the daughter of Susannah Nicholl of Watford, to be shared with Cecilia Watson (then 9) the daughter of William and Susannah Watson when Cecilia Watson reached 21. He left his Jamaica property to Elizabeth the daughter of Rebecca Shipton now in America. He left Elizabeth Lewis an annuity of £20 p.a. and his freehold house at Shepperton, and £30 p.a. and £300 at 21 to Mary Ann the daughter of Mary Morgan (then also aged 9). He directed that his estate in Surrey called Beaumont Cottage be let for 3, 5 or 7 years. In the probate the executrix Mary Nicholl was identified as his niece.
- PROB 11/1265/129.
Associated Estates (1)
The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:
- SD - Association Start Date
- SY - Association Start Year
- EA - Earliest Known Association
- ED - Association End Date
- EY - Association End Year
- LA - Latest Known Association
1757 [EA] - 1757 [LA] → Joint owner
Beaumont Cottage, Chertsey, Surrey, South-east England, England