William Scarborough or Scarbrough
Profile & Legacies Summary
Slave-owner on Nevis, apparently resident, although Shepheard Scarborough, identified as the son of William Scarborough of Nevis in online genealogical sources, was baptised at Lyme Regis Dorset 28/06/1807, and his sons appear to have relocated to the West Country by the time of Emancipation. Former owner of Scarb[o]rough estate on Nevis in 1817-1822.
- John Latoysonere Scarbrough, born c. 1811 on Nevis, is shown in online genealogies as the son of William Scarborough. He was a retired surgeon and magistrate of Colyton Devon, leaving £25,000 on his death in 1877. A slave-owner of an earlier generation of the same name was party to a deed of 13/08/1795 in which he gave to each of his four daughters named enslaved people and their children.
Ancestry.com, Shepheard Scarbrough in the Dorset, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812 [database online].
- 1851, 1861 and 1871 censuses; National Probate Calendar 1878; Common Records 1794-1797, British Library, EAP794/1/1/25, https://eap.bl.uk/archive-file/EAP794-1-1-25 pp. 332-333.
Associated Estates (1)
The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:
- SD - Association Start Date
- SY - Association Start Year
- EA - Earliest Known Association
- ED - Association End Date
- EY - Association End Year
- LA - Latest Known Association
1817 [SY] - 1822 [EY] → Previous owner