Built 1st Jan 1834
Originally the gates to Powis House, now the gates to Aberdeen University halls of residence. Includes a bust of three black enslaved people 'commemorating the family's link with the grant of freedom to the slaves on their Jamaica plantations.'
For photographs of the Powis Gates see http://mcjazz.f2s.com/BlackSlavers.htm [accessed 01/03/2013].
http://www.abdn.ac.uk/oldtownhouse/downloads/history.pdf [accessed 01/03/2013]. The Powis Gates in some sources are attributed to John Leslie, e.g. in http://www.abdn.ac.uk/slavery/8p1.htm [accessed 26/09/2013].