Long Bay estate, St Philip, Barbados
Built by enslaved owned by Samuel Lord between 1817 and 1820 at a cost of between £20,000 and £30,000. According to Schomburgk, "The parish of St. Philip contains one of the finest mansions in the West Indies, known by the name of Long Bay Castle : its architecture is of a peculiar style, but the interior is very tasteful. It is out of its place in that part of the island, and resembles an oasis in the desert." Sir Robert H. Schomburgk, The History of Barbados (1848), p. 219.