Estate Details

View in context on full map

Associated People (7)

The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:

  • SD - Association Start Date
  • SY - Association Start Year
  • EA - Earliest Known Association
  • ED - Association End Date
  • EY - Association End Year
  • LA - Latest Known Association
- 1823 [LA] → Manager
- 1823 [LA] → Previous owner
1777 [EA] - 1777 [LA] → Owner

The estate was mortgaged by George Walker of Cavendish Square in 1777

1777 [EA] - 1777 [LA] → Mortgage Holder

Given as William Furch Palmer in Hughes-Queree but almost certainly William Finch Palmer.

1788 [EA] - 1823 [LA] → Owner
1817 [EA] - 1817 [LA] → Attorney
1826 [EA] - 1834 [LA] → Owner

Associated Claims (1)

£6,497 14S 5D


A variety of owners from 1662; by 1708 it appears to have been owned by George Walker, though both before and since that date the size of the plantation and the numbers of enslaved varied with acquisitions and transactions of land and enslaved.


Barbados Department of Archives. Hughes-Queree Index of Plantations.

Estate Information (9)

What is this?

[Number of enslaved people] 144(Tot)  
[Size] 467  

Marriage settlement. George Walker of St. George married Elizabeth Osborne, daughter of Samuel Osborne, deceased. Walker’s plantation at this point was 467 acres with 144 enslaved.

Barbados Department of Archives. Hughes-Queree Index of Plantations.

Mortgage. George Walker of Cavendish Square, Middlesex, England to William Furch [= Finch] Palmer of London, England, £35,000 sterling secured on a plantation called Walker’s Two Mills. This was a 2nd mortgage, there being already a £5000 sterling mortgage to William Elliott of London, England on 666 acres in St. Andrew.

Barbados Department of Archives. Hughes-Queree Index of Plantations.

Sometime between 1777 and 1788 Thomas Cheeseman Pinder had become the owner and then sold it to Joseph Jordan.

Barbados Department of Archives. Hughes-Queree Index of Plantations.
[Number of enslaved people] 220(Tot)  

In a Levy Book list for an unidentified parish [probably St Andrew], Barbados, 1804, Joseph Jordan was listed as owning 220 enslaved and 2 windmills. It is not clear which Jordan was referred to though it was probably this one.

Barbados Department of Archives. RB9/3/7. Levy Book for unidentified parish [probably St Andrew], 1804.
[Number of enslaved people] 205(Tot) 111(F) 94(M)  

Return of Joseph William Jordan, Attorney, the property of Joseph Jordan.

T71/522 314-19
[Number of enslaved people] 218(Tot)  

Return of Joseph Mayers, Manager, the property of the estate of Joseph Jordan, deceased, who had no legal representative. Previously 210 enslaved. The return which followed for the estate of Gibbes Walker Jordan (also from Mayers) listed the enslaved who were inherited by the death of Joseph Jordan: a total of 216 (208 enslaved + 16 births less 8 deaths); this was then followed by the return by Mayers for Joseph William Jordan, "who has no Attorney but to whom he [Mayers] is Manager". This listed 216 enslaved bequeathed by the death of Joseph Jordan together with 1 from previous return, 2 births and 1 death. Previously enslaved at Walker's: 210.

T71/530 419-20; 420-28; 428-36
[Number of enslaved people] 290(Tot)  
[Name] Walkers  

Return of Joseph William Jordan, his own property. Previously 218 enslaved. NB that this return was in St Peter rather than in St Andrew. Changes since 1823:
Births: 35; Purchased of William Oxley, Master in Chancery, late the property of Naboth Greaves, deceased: 60; deaths: 23.

T71/538 279-81
[Number of enslaved people] 303(Tot)  

Return of Jos. Wm. Jordan, his own property.

T71/543 332-4
[Number of enslaved people] 302(Tot)  

Return by J. W. Jordan of his own property.

T71/550 333-4