Robert Nutter Campbell
Profile & Legacies Summary
???? - 11th Apr 1845
Claimant or beneficiary
Son of Mungo Campbell of Hundelshope and Elizabeth Nutter. Date of birth unknown. Genealogical sources indicate that Mungo Campbell was a planter of Grenada and his wife an heiress of Grenada.
- Subject with his wife Margaret of a double portrait by Henry Raeburn on display at Kelvingrove Art Gallery in Glasgow. A seond Raeburn portrait of him is held in storage in Glasgow Museums' collections. No evidence of a commercial career, although some secondary sources refer to him as a Glasgow merchant. Apparently a soldier early in his life: Robert Nutter Campbell appears sequentially as an Ensign and Captain in the 94th Regiment of Foot in 1791 and 1792. Thereafter he appears as Lt-Col in the Peebleshire Militia in 1808. The Robert Nutter Campbell who was a half-pay captain in the 94th Foot in 1826 was a different man. Inventory of Robert Nutter Campbell of Kailzie, residing at no. 41 Melville Street, Edinburgh, registered 04/06/1845; the will of Robert Nutter Campbell, late of Kailzie but now residing in Edinburgh proved the same day.
T71/880 Grenada claim no. 780 (Carriere); Robert Nutter Campbell of Ormidale (1799-1856) was apparently unconnected.
- Kelvingrove Art Gallery, Bequeathed by Isabella A H J Campbell, 1917, ID Numbers 1594 and 1424 (licenced under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License); reference to him as a Glasgow merchant appear in e.g. http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB15420 [accessed 08/07/2018]; London Gazette, Issue 12129, 21/10/1780, p. 1 [which refers to the 49th Regiment of Foot]; London Gazette, Issue 12316, 23/07/1782, p. 3; London Gazette, Issue 16210, 17/12/1808, p. 1713; London Gazette, Issue 18221, 18/02/1826, p. 363; SC70/1/66; SC70/4/1.
We are grateful to Katinka Stentoft Dalglish for her assistance with compiling this entry.
Margaret Montgomery (1791)
Associated Claims (1)
Associated Estates (1)
The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:
- SD - Association Start Date
- SY - Association Start Year
- EA - Earliest Known Association
- ED - Association End Date
- EY - Association End Year
- LA - Latest Known Association
1817 [EA] - 1834 [LA] → Owner
Kailzie House [Built]
Kailzie House, Scots Mill, built for Robert Nutter Campbell 1802 or 1803. Demolished c. 1958....
41 Melville Street, Edinburgh, Midlothian (Edinburgh), Central Scotland, Scotland
Kailzie House, Peeblesshire, Southern Scotland, Scotland