William Bartlet of Tobago
Profile & Legacies Summary
???? - 1778
Brother of Alexander Bartlet (q.v.), and original grantee of Orange Valley (with Drewry Ottley) in St Patrick, of Belvoir in St George, and of a further lot under St David no. 37, all in Tobago. William Bartlet was dead by 1778. Almost certainly connected with the William Bartlet who later collected slave compensation for enslaved people on Grenada in the 1830s, but how has not yet been traced.
- According to Mark Quintanilla, the partners in Alexander Bartlet & George Campbell purchased two 100 acre plantations in the Queens Bay division in the northeast of Tobago for £890 in 1771, and established the Friendship estate 'in the extreme interior of the island.' Roderick Williamson, a partner with Alexander Bartlet and George Campbell, purchased on 15/05/1771 Queens' Bay (St Paul) Lots nos. 41 and 42: in 1773 these were shown as 'Campbell & Williamson', and must be the 'two 100 acre plantations' referred to by Quintanilla (a footnote in Quintanilla's article identifies one of their estates as 'Friendsfield' rather than 'Friendship'). Before 1778, the partners had reportedy added additional estates including two in the Courland division, at the opposite end of the island, and another in the Northeast division.
RBS holds 'Papers relative to Alexander Bartlet & Co., West India merchants', http://heritagearchives.rbs.com/content/dam/rbs/Documents/History/Hub/wc-41.pdf accessed 08/11/2013, which gives a death-date of 1778 for William Bartlet.
- Mark Quintanilla, 'Mercantile connections in the Ceded Isles: the Alexander Bartlet & George Campbell Company', International Social Science Review 79.1 & 2 (2004), pp. 14-26; ibid p. 25 fn 44.
Associated Estates (2)
The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:
- SD - Association Start Date
- SY - Association Start Year
- EA - Earliest Known Association
- ED - Association End Date
- EY - Association End Year
- LA - Latest Known Association
1766 [SY] - → Owner
1766 [SY] - → Joint owner