James Richards of Bristol
Profile & Legacies Summary
???? - 1829
Bristol merchant, in partnership with George Gibbs and George Gibbs junior (q.v) until his retirement in 1808.
- Will of James Richards [formerly] of [the City of Bristol] merchant [but now residing at] Ilfracombe Devon proved 22/09/1829. His first wife Mary and son James had predeceased him. He left £4000 to his niece Mary Richards of Bristol, daughter of his deceased brother Thomas Richards merchant mariner, and £2000 to his nephew Samuel Munckley Richards commonly known as Samuel Richards (son of his brother Samuel Richards sugar refiner) now in the employ of Messrs Gibbs and Son. He left £200 in trust with George Gibbs and George Gibbs junior as three legacies of local charities, the Bristol [given as British] Infirmary, the Bristol Dispensary and the Asylum for the Blind. He left his [second] wife Elizabeth £2000 and an annuity of £600 p.a., and his servant Ann Griffin an annuity of £50 p.a. His residuary legatee was his brother Samuel Richards, whom he also made an executor in a codicil of 1818 after the death of George Gibbs senior. In a codicil of 1820 he revoked the legacy of £2000 to Samuel Munckley Richards, replacing it with a legacy of £1000 and leaving a new legacy of £1000 to Samuel Munckley's brother James Richards of Brighton. In a final codicil of 1828 he requested that his executors draw down his account with Messrs Gibbs & Son & Bright in instalments of 1/4 each over four years.
(1) Mary (2) Elizabeth
Associated Estates (1)
The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:
- SD - Association Start Date
- SY - Association Start Year
- EA - Earliest Known Association
- ED - Association End Date
- EY - Association End Year
- LA - Latest Known Association
1804 [EA] - → Trustee
Co-trustee of Aylmers under the will of Edmund Jordan with his partners George Gibbs senior and George Gibbs, and with Samuel Queneborough.
Ilfracombe, Devon, Devon & Cornwall, England
Bristol, Gloucestershire, South-west England, England