Predecessor firm of Lloyds Bank, which absorbed its successor in 1884 thereby acquiring the Black Horse symbol. 'This private bank was established in Lombard Street, City of London in 1771 as Hanbury, Taylor, Lloyd & Bowman. Two of the partners, Sampson Lloyds III and John Taylor junior had been founding partners of Taylors & Lloyds in Birmingham, the firm from which Lloyds Bank was to evolve. Hanbury was a tobacco merchant and Bowman was the bank's manager who had formerly been a cashier with Smith & Payne (est. 1758), leading London bankers. The bank went through a number of partnership changes until it became Hanbury & Lloyd in 1858. The bank continued to act as London agents for Lloyds in Birmingham....The business merged with Barnett, Hoare & Co. (est. 1728) in 1864 to form Barnetts, Hoares, Hanbury & Lloyd.'