Commercial Legacy Details
Richard Nicholl lent £5000 on mortgage to Kimber Gross & Nicholl of Colchester in the 1830s.
Colchester brewers, founded c. 1831 and funded in part by Richard Nicholl (q.v.)
- 'In 1851 there were three maltings at the Hythe, convenient for the import of barley and for the export to London of malt. Kimber, Gross & Nicholl’s, founded in 1830 as a porter brewery behind St. Botolph’s Street, had by 1851 become Charrington Nicholl’s, and had moved to the bottom of East Hill… Charrington Nicholl’s at East Hill remained a family firm supplying its own public houses until it was taken over c. 1920 by Colchester Brewing Co., which in turn in 1925 became part of Ind Coope’s, which merged with Allsopp’s in 1934; the takeovers were designed to accumulate more tied houses rather than more brewing plant. Mallison’s in William’s Walk, a mineral water manufacturing business previously owned by Charrington Nicholl’s, in 1890 produced 1,500 dozen bottles a day using modern plant and had works and stores in other towns in eastern England; by 1914 it was known as Colchester Table Waters Ltd., one of five mineral water manufacturers based in Colchester …’
- Victoria County History of Essex: volume 9: Colchester (1994) pp. 179-198