Estate Details

Associated People (1)

The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:

  • SD - Association Start Date
  • SY - Association Start Year
  • EA - Earliest Known Association
  • ED - Association End Date
  • EY - Association End Year
  • LA - Latest Known Association
19/03/1767 [SD] - 1798 [EY] → Joint owner

Associated Claims (1)

£1,687 4S 5D


The original purchasers of Sandy Bay division (St Patrick parish) Lots nos 8 (12/05/1766) & 38 (05/06//1770) (which together became New Grange) were J. Leith and C. Irvine: the two men were still shown as Present Proprietors in 1773. The owner in 1832 was shown as J. Gordon but the Present Possessors c. 1866 as John and Jas. Leith.


'Tables showing the Lots in each Parish, numbered as originally granted - the original Grantee - the name of the Lot, or lots, if one has been acquired, and the present Possessor where there is one' and 'A Table, showing the Estates in cultivation in 1832, and their Owners, in 1832, copied from the list appended to Byres' map of that date, with those in cultivation in 1862', Henry Iles Woodcock, A History of Tobago (Ayr: Smith and Grant, 1867; new impression London: Frank Cass and Company Limited, 1971); John Fowler, A summary account of the present flourishing state of the respectable colony of Tobago in the British West Indies illustrated with a map of the island and a plan of its settlement, agreeably to the sales by his Majesty’s Commissioners (London: A Grant, 1774) pp. 58-59; 60-61.

Estate Information (3)

What is this?

[Number of enslaved people] 125(Tot) 68(F) 57(M)  
[Name] Grange  

Return made by P.M. Biggar manager 29/01/1819.

T71/462 139-143
[Number of enslaved people] 99(Tot) 53(F) 46(M)  
[Name] Grange  

John Hastie manager

T71/474 35
[Number of enslaved people] 92(Tot) 53(F) 39(M)  
[Name] Grange  

John Hastie manager

T71/481 34