Sion Hill

Estate Details

Associated People (2)

The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:

  • SD - Association Start Date
  • SY - Association Start Year
  • EA - Earliest Known Association
  • ED - Association End Date
  • EY - Association End Year
  • LA - Latest Known Association
1766 [SY] - → Owner
1773 [EA] - 1810 [EY] → Owner

Probably but not certainly the Simon Fraser shown as the present proprietor c. 1773 was the Simon Fraser of Ness Castle in whose will (proved in 1810) are mentioned unnamed estates in Tobago.


Original grantee of Sion Hill was Thomas Bridgewater under Great River division (St Mary parish) nos. 7 & 8, Present Possessor Jas. H. B. Thomas. It did not appear on the 1832 or 1862 lists. In 1773 it was in the hands of Simon Fraser.


'Tables showing the Lots in each Parish, numbered as originally granted - the original Grantee - the name of the Lot, or lots, if one has been acquired, and the present Possessor where there is one' and 'A Table, showing the Estates in cultivation in 1832, and their Owners, in 1832, copied from the list appended to Byres' map of that date, with those in cultivation in 1862', Henry Iles Woodcock, A History of Tobago (Ayr: Smith and Grant, 1867; new impression London: Frank Cass and Company Limited, 1971).