Profile & Legacies Summary
Resident slave-owner in Jamaica. Deceased by 1782. Devisee of John Rusea, himself in turn the heir-at-law of Martin Rusea, whose will was proved in 1764.
- 'THE RUSEA SCHOOL: Martin Rusea, a French refugee to Jamaica, left all his real and personal estate for the establishment of a free school in the parish in grateful remembrance of the hospitality shown him during his residence in the colony. Rusea's Will is dated July 23, 1764. The real and personal estate realized £2,700, and the school was established in 1777 in Lucea.'
Laws of Jamaica, 1760-1792 (1802) Vol. II p.. 225.
- Three Articles by Frederick J. duQuesnay 'Historic Lucea and the Brissett family' on JamaicanFamilySearch.
Associated Estates (3)
The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:
- SD - Association Start Date
- SY - Association Start Year
- EA - Earliest Known Association
- ED - Association End Date
- EY - Association End Year
- LA - Latest Known Association
1782 [EA] - 1821 [LA] → Previous owner
1774 [EA] - → Owner
1782 [EA] - 1808 [LA] → Previous owner