William Hyndman of Nevis
Profile & Legacies Summary
???? - 1770
Early purchaser of land in Grenada, dying before the estate was fully developed there. Either this man or his son William was purchaser of Towerhill on Nevis from William Mathew Burt and Charles Pym Burt in 1769 for £12,500.
- Will of William Hyndman of Nevis proved 25/09/1770. Under the will he left £2000 each to his son John and daughter Sally at 21, and £300 each to the three children of his friend Archibald Thomas of Nevis. He confirmed the settlement of £200 p.a. on his wife Mary, with £700 reserved for her two daughters Eliz. Esdaile and Mary Esdaile at 21. His residuary heir was his son William. In a codicil he left his wife half his furniture and certain negroes, viz. Durham, Kildare, Cynthia and her two children Kitty and John Baptiste and Yellow Fanny. He asked his executors to carry on and perfect the settlement of 'my estate in Grenada.'
Vere Langford Oliver History of Antigua Vol. I pp. 89-90. The transaction on Towerhill took place 07/09/1769: neither the will of William Hyndman of Nevis [made in 1768] nor his codicil made in 1770 mention the Towerhill estate.
- PROB 11/960/300
William; John; Sally
Associated Estates (2)
The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:
- SD - Association Start Date
- SY - Association Start Year
- EA - Earliest Known Association
- ED - Association End Date
- EY - Association End Year
- LA - Latest Known Association
1769 [EA] - 1769 [LA] → Owner
- 1770 [EY] → Owner