Profile & Legacies Summary
Slave-factor and merchant in Jamaica, dying between 1808 and 1811 with a slave-trading family in Lancashire. His residuary devisees, the children of his brother Thomas Hinde of Liverpool, became owners of Coldspring in St Mary, Jamaica.
- The will of John Hinde merchant [at present] of Kingston Surrey [Jamaica, but shortly about to depart for Great Britain] [made in 1808] proved 03/08/1811. He left: his mother Ann, the widow of Thomas Hinde of 'County of Palatine' 100 guineas; Margaret Ector [sp?] £2000 currency; John, his reputed son with Margaret Ector and at present in England £2000 sterling in consols, and £100 p.a. until 21; and William and Samuel his brothers and Ann or Nancy and Eleanor his sisters of County Palatine £3000 currency each. His residuary legatees were the children of his brother Thomas Hinde of Liverpool.
Data on slave factors suppled to LBS by Nick Radburn, University of Lancaster, for whose help LBS is grateful.
- PROB 11/1525/17.
Associated Estates (2)
The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:
- SD - Association Start Date
- SY - Association Start Year
- EA - Earliest Known Association
- ED - Association End Date
- EY - Association End Year
- LA - Latest Known Association
1817 [EA] - 1832 [LA] → Previous owner
1817 [EA] - → Previous owner