William Hyslop Sumner
Profile & Legacies Summary
1780 - 1861
Bostonian landowner and developer of East Boston, co-owner of the Yeaman's estate on Antigua with David Stoddard Greenough (q.v.), whose widow he reportedly married .
- Massachusetts Historical Society, David Stoddard Greenough Family Papers, http://www.masshist.org/collection-guides/view/fa0160 [accessed 13/04/2016]; Anthony Mitchell Sammarco, Jamaica Plain; William Hyslop Sumner, Memoir of Increase Sumner: Governor of Massachusetts by his Son (Boston, 1854), p. 65, which details the transmission of US property and mentions the Antiguan estate but not the enslaved people; Jamaica Plains Historical Society, 'Gen. William Hyslop Sumner', https://www.jphs.org/people/2005/4/14/gen-william-hyslop-sumner.html ['Written by K. Cipolia and W.H. Marx. Reprinted with permission from the March 11, 1994 Jamaica Plain Gazette'] [accessed 05/02/2018].
We are grateful to David Martial Alexander for his help with this entry.
Married but no further details
Associated Estates (1)
The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:
- SD - Association Start Date
- SY - Association Start Year
- EA - Earliest Known Association
- ED - Association End Date
- EY - Association End Year
- LA - Latest Known Association
1817 [EA] - → Joint owner
Boston, Massachusetts, United States