Profile & Legacies Summary
???? - 1812
Slave-owner on St Vincent, apparently resident, seller of Rose Hall, Clydeside and Palmyra with 145 enslaved people to John Cropper, David Miller and Nathaniel Basnett Cropper in 1800 for £40,000, of which £23,000 was to go directly to Hamilton's creditors. Kenneth Morgan records a will of Gavin Hamilton dated 06/02/1812.
- Shepard recorded that 'On the 31st July , a most diabolical outrage was committed by a party of about 50 consisting of a few of the former French inhabitants, some free coloured persons, and Negroes. They set fire to Mr Gavin Hamilton's dwelling house, works and Negro houses at Rose Hall, and killed 10 of his slaves and wounded several.'
https://eap.bl.uk/sites/default/files/legacy-eap/downloads/eap345_survey.pdf p. 10.
- Charles Shephard, An Historical Account of the Island of St Vincent p. 87.
Associated Estates (1)
The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:
- SD - Association Start Date
- SY - Association Start Year
- EA - Earliest Known Association
- ED - Association End Date
- EY - Association End Year
- LA - Latest Known Association
- 1800 [EY] → Owner