Profile & Legacies Summary
???? - 1792
John Toke of Todington [sic] was among a group of individuals purchasing, for a total of £15,000, annuities from John Mills secured on the latter's estates and enslaved people on Nevis in 1774, when for £500 he purchased an annuity of £50 p.a., for the lives of Sarah Rutton spinster of Ashford (aged 59) and Matthias Rutton of the same place (aged 24). In the will of Sarah Rutton she said that John Toke held the half the annuity in trust for her, and she left it to her nephew Matthias.
- Will of Sarah Rutton spinster of Ashford Kent proved 21/03/1792. 'I give devise and bequeath all that moiety or half part belonging to me or which John Toke of Godinton in the County of Kent stands [?] possessed in trust for me of and in one annual sum or clear yearly rent charge of fifty pounds of lawful money of Great Britain granted to him the said John Toke by John Mills of Great Saint Helens in the City of London merchant during the natural life of me the said Sarah Rutton and my said nephew Matthias Rutton and the life of the longer lives of us to be issuing and payable out of certain estates of the said John Mills being and lying in the parish of St John Figtree in the island of Nevis in America and all my right an interest therein not my said nephew Matthias Rutton.' She made another nephew, Isaac Rutton, her residuary legatee.
Common Records 1775-1776, British Library, EAP794/1/1/15, https://eap.bl.uk/archive-file/EAP794-1-1-15 pp. 65-94.
- PROB 11/1216/173.
Associated Estates (1)
The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:
- SD - Association Start Date
- SY - Association Start Year
- EA - Earliest Known Association
- ED - Association End Date
- EY - Association End Year
- LA - Latest Known Association
1774 [EA] - 1792 [LA] → Annuitant
Ashford, Kent, South-east England, England