Profile & Legacies Summary
???? - 1793
London merchant, partner with Peter Thellusson (q.v.). The two men were mortgagees of the property of John Lessl[e]y on Nevis and raised a mortgage with a syndicate of investors on another estate in Grenada. The will, of John Cossart, proved 30/04/1793, provided details of his partnership with Thellusson but is silent on 'slave-property.'
- Peter Thellusson and his partner John Cossart were parties to a deed of 1775 whereby John Lessl[e]y pledged his property on Nevis including an estate of 120 acres in St Thomas Lowland that he had bought from Thomas Bridgwater of Grenada (q.v.) and 117 named enslaved people to secure his debt of £2750 to Thellusson and Cossart.
- Common Records 1776-1777, British Library, EAP794/1/1/16, https://eap.bl.uk/archive-file/EAP794-1-1-16 pp. 31 et seq.
Associated Estates (1)
The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:
- SD - Association Start Date
- SY - Association Start Year
- EA - Earliest Known Association
- ED - Association End Date
- EY - Association End Year
- LA - Latest Known Association
1772 [EA] - → Mortgage Holder