Profile & Legacies Summary
- Book-keeper on Cherry Garden Estate in the early- to mid-1820s. He related to Benjamin McMahon several anecdotes about Mr. Charles Smith, the attorney of Richmond, and co-attorney of Cherry Garden. Ross claimed to have witnessed the brutal rape of a young (eleven to twelve year old) girl by the attorney Charles Smith. "Donald Ross was not a man of any tenderness of heart for the negro race, yet he declared that his feelings so overcame him when he heard the poor child's piercing shrieks..... He spoke of the affair with the deepest horror, and entered into particulars" which Benjamin McMahon could not commit to paper.
- Benjamin McMahon, Jamaica Plantership: Eighteen Years Employed in the Planting Line in that Island (1839) pp. 69-70.
We are grateful to Siddharth Singh Ahlawat for his assistance with compiling this entry.
Associated Estates (1)
The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:
- SD - Association Start Date
- SY - Association Start Year
- EA - Earliest Known Association
- ED - Association End Date
- EY - Association End Year
- LA - Latest Known Association
Dates unclear - in the early- to mid-1820s