Profile & Legacies Summary
1771 - 1847
Claimant or beneficiary
Awarded the compensation with John Bond of Lancaster (q.v.) for the enslaved people on Albion in British Guiana.
- A Highland Scot, born c 1771, marrying in 1801 Miss Eliza Donaldson at Elgin when already William Innes of Demerary. Made his will in 1836 at Elgin, and died there in 1847. The will refers to his half share in the Albion, Nigg and Lancaster estates, the other half belonging to John Bond of Lancaster who was among his trustees. He left a series of individual legacies typically of £200-300 each to a dozen or so individuals in Scotland who appear to have been friends or the dependents of friends, and an annuity of £100 p.a. to two daughters of his deceased brother Robert Innes, surgeon in the Royal Navy, Mary and Margaret Anne. He instructed his trustees to sell his heritable estate for the benefit of his residuary legatee, his niece Margaret Anne Innes.
Associated Claims (1)
Associated Estates (1)
The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:
- SD - Association Start Date
- SY - Association Start Year
- EA - Earliest Known Association
- ED - Association End Date
- EY - Association End Year
- LA - Latest Known Association
1825 [EA] - 1834 [LA] → Joint owner
Elgin, Moray, North-east Scotland, Scotland