Purchased 30th Nov -0001
East Lodge (formerly The Lodge), Upper Rock Gardens, Brighton. Bounded by Edward Street, St James's Street and St Mary's Place.
Bought by Brighton Corporation from Richard Foster in 1877 for road improvement: the surplus was sold off as building plots. The main part of the estate, formerly in the Upper Furlong, Little Laine, was assembled by Thomas Nevill and acquired by George O'Brien, Earl of Egremont, 1812-1816. In a codicil to his will of 1802, Thomas Nevill described the purchase of freehold and leasehold interests from Mr John Smith.
179 East Sussex Record Office Former ref: T12644 1588