Baldricks / Haynes Field / Belmont (Belle Mount)

Estate Details

Associated People (8)

The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:

  • SD - Association Start Date
  • SY - Association Start Year
  • EA - Earliest Known Association
  • ED - Association End Date
  • EY - Association End Year
  • LA - Latest Known Association
- 1803 [LA] → Owner
1774 [EA] - 1774 [LA] → Not known
1786 [EA] - 1786 [LA] → Owner

T. N. Senior owned the estate at the point of his death. It is not known when he acquired it.

1803 [EA] - 1804 [LA] → Executor
1803 [EA] - 1804 [LA] → Executor
1804 [EA] - 1810 [LA] → Owner
1816 [EA] - 1838 [LA] → Owner
1823 [EA] - 1832 [LA] → Attorney

Associated Claims (1)

£5,649 1S 10D


The Baldricks (or Baldricke) estate appears on the Forde map of 1674; in 1680 it is listed in the Census as being of 100 acres and owned by Thomas Baldricke. It appears again on the 1721 Mayo map. In 1743 Charles Hutton of St. John and his wife Elizabeth Hutton, formerly Elizabeth Senior, widow, and before that Elizabeth Baldrick, widow and executrix of Robert Thomas Baldrick, deceased, of England, lease to William Miller of St. John ‘Baldrick’s’ plantation: 163 acres. It has a yearly rental of £450 sterling for 11 years, and 72 enslaved. Highest valued male slave £67, female £50, boys and girls £36. For subsequent developments see Evolutions. The estate was subsequently re-named as Haynes Field in 1804.
For the estate up to 1838 see Evolutions. From 1838 it was owned by several different individuals or companies, renamed in 1909 as the Wakefield plantation and in 1971 owned by Wakefield Estates Ltd. The associated house, named as Villa Nova, had been built by 1834 following the destruction of the previous house by the hurricane of 1831. In 1965 it was owned by Sir Anthony Eden, Lord Avon, until his death in 1971. For the history of the house see among others Henry Fraser: Villa Nova – the romance and the disgrace, accessed 2 July 2015. The refurbished house was on sale in 2013 for US$11 million.

See also the Belmont estate.


Barbados Department of Archives. Hughes-Queree Index of Plantations.

Estate Information (11)

What is this?

[Number of enslaved people] 126(Tot)  
[Name] Baldricks  

John Miller listed in association with the estate in 1774: Barbados Department of Archives. RB9/3/5. Return of persons in Saint John 1774. (Note that the original list is partly torn: not all the numbers are visible and much of the handwriting is illegible or smudged.)
John Miller was presumably a descendant of William Miller who had leased the estate in 1743 from Charles Hutton and his wife, Elizabeth Hutton. (See general notes on the estate.)

Barbados Department of Archives. RB9/3/5

By 1786, the will of Thomas Nassau Senior, of Bath, England, shows that he owned 2 plantations in Barbados: Baldrick’s and Pool’s plantation in St Joseph and St Andrew.

Barbados Department of Archives. Hughes-Queree Index of Plantations.
[Number of enslaved people] 91(Tot)  
[Name] Baldrix  
[Size] 182  

Inventory of Robert Trotman. Executors: Henry Trotman and Thomas Clarke Trotman. Dated: 5 May 1803.
Total enslaved: Men: 26, Women: 37, Boys: 12, Girls: 16.
Value of enslaved: £6,728 0 0d.
Total estate value: £20,834 10 0d.

Barbados Department of Archives. Inventories
[Number of enslaved people] 70(Tot)  
[Size] 178  

Gen., the Hon. Robert Haynes sold Haynes Field to Henry Sealy of St. John for £18,000. According to Hughes-Queree, Haynes sold Baldricks to provide some of the capital to buy Clifton Hall. However, by 1816, it appears to be still in the possession of Edmund Haynes: see evolution notes for 1816 and subsequently.

Barbados Department of Archives. Hughes-Queree Index of Plantations.

Edmund Haynes reports that £4,913 damage has been caused to the estate by Bussa's Rebellion.

Barbados Department of Archives. Hughes-Queree Index of Plantations.
[Number of enslaved people] 265(Tot) 142(F) 123(M)  

Return of Edmund Haynes, his own property. Note that this return was for "Belle Mount, Haynes Field & Mt. Chance". Belle Mount refers to Belmont; there is no record of the Mt. Chance estate in the Slave Registers. See also the record for the Belmont estate.

T71/521 615-22
[Number of enslaved people] 228(Tot)  
[Name] [no name given]  

Return of John Wood junior, Attorney, the property of Edmund Haynes. Previously 224 enslaved.

T71/530 219-20
[Number of enslaved people] 243(Tot)  
[Name] [No name given]  

Return of Edmund Haynes, his own property.

T71/537 18-19
[Number of enslaved people] 255(Tot)  

Return of John Wood jun., Attorney, the property of Edmund Haynes.

T71/543 153-7
[Number of enslaved people] 251(Tot)  

Return of John Wood jun., Attorney, the property of Edmund Haynes.

T71/550 179-81
[Size] 317  

Edmund Haynes, by now of Exeter, Devonshire, England, sold the plantation to William Thomas Sharp of St. John for £25,000. There is a perpetual charge of £1000 on the plantation to pay an annuity of £60 to Mount Tabor Moravian Church. Haynes had previously given 4 acres and built the church for the Moravian Mission.

Barbados Department of Archives. Hughes-Queree Index of Plantations.