James Maxwell merchant of Barbados
Profile & Legacies Summary
???? - 1813
Probably the same man as the James Maxwell deceased owner of Tempe and Nursery in Berbice in 1818.
- The will of James Maxwell merchant of Barbados was proved 11/03/1814. In it he refers to his property in Berbice as well as Barbados. After he had provided for his wife Mary Maxwell with an annuity of £300 p.a. currency on top of the £200 p.a. currency under his marriage settlement, 'out of my estate called the Hope' (and confirmed the reversion to his wife of 'sundry slaves', received from her late father Mr Richard Morgan, and left her his 'mulatto slave named Frank and my cook man Bob'), his residual legatee was Ann Hinds, described as his daughter the widow of Benjamin Hinds, but in the description of the said Ann Hinds as executor, she is described as his sister.
Associated Estates (2)
The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:
- SD - Association Start Date
- SY - Association Start Year
- EA - Earliest Known Association
- ED - Association End Date
- EY - Association End Year
- LA - Latest Known Association
- 1812 [LA] → Owner
- 1818 [LA] → Previous owner