Profile & Legacies Summary
Apparently formerly a merchant in London, although not yet traced in either the London Gazette or in trade directories. John Pringle was co-mortgagee and co-mortgagee-in-possession of estates and enslaved people in Jamaica with Thomas Cheap (q.v.).
- Will of John Pringle of Edinburgh Midlothian [made in 1790] was proved 16/06/1804. The will showed him as of Clifton North Britain. In the will he left £500 to his natural son John Pringle then in India with the East India Co., over and above £2000 he had already advanced him, and £10,000 which he had lately transmitted to him in India through David Scott. His executors included Thomas Cheape and Andrew Loughnan.
Associated Estates (2)
The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:
- SD - Association Start Date
- SY - Association Start Year
- EA - Earliest Known Association
- ED - Association End Date
- EY - Association End Year
- LA - Latest Known Association
1783 [EA] - 1786 [LA] → Mortgage Holder
1786 [EA] - 1791 [LA] → Mortgagee-in-Possession