Stoney Grove

Estate Details

Associated People (6)

The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:

  • SD - Association Start Date
  • SY - Association Start Year
  • EA - Earliest Known Association
  • ED - Association End Date
  • EY - Association End Year
  • LA - Latest Known Association
1828 [SY] - 1834 [EY] → Joint owner
1822 [SY] - 1825 [EY] → Owner
1817 [SY] - 1817 [EY] → Owner
1834 [SY] - 1834 [EY] → Attorney
1828 [SY] - 1834 [EY] → Joint owner
1831 [EA] - 1831 [LA] → Other

In 1831, the enslaved people on the estate were registered to 'Pinney & Ames' although Jeremiah Ames had died in 1820. Presumably the entry referred to a mortgage or other assignment dating from the period he was a partner. The compensation under Nevis Claim No. 1 was paid to Charles Pinney and Robert Edward Case, identified as trustees for 'Mrs Ames', who was the daughter of John Pinney.

Associated Claims (1)

£3,572 10S 11D


The estate has been divided into several plots. A real estate advertisement gives details of the remaining historic buildings on the estate which sit together within a 4 and half acre site which was up for sale for 1.8 million US dollars in 2015.

Construction: Primarily Nevis volcanic stone with some block and masonry additions; some asphalt shingle sidings; galvanized roofs.

The Stables: A stone and yellow building that was created out of the stables on the property. The house has a living/dining room (16’ x 38’) with an additional patio of 10’ x 16’; a living/recreational room of 24’ x 38’; a large kitchen (12’ x 19’); and three bedrooms 14’ x 14’, 11’ x 10’ and 11’ x 11’. Total area is 2,785 square feet. There is a bathroom (5’x 7’) and an extended patio (12’ x 12’) and an outdoor cistern.

The Carriage House: A stone three-bedroom house with a huge kitchen (12’ x 17’), large living (17’ x 20’) and dining room (17’ x 20’), bathroom (5’ x 9’), and large back porch (13’ x 33’) overlooking an herb/kitchen garden. Building measures 2,516 square feet. Bedrooms are 12’ x 14’, 12’ x 17’, and 14’ x 14’.

Bake House: A small stone baking house sits in front of the second cottage; walls and roof are all stone with stone chimney. Size is 14’ x 17’.

Great House: Remnants of a large great house still stand; first floor walls are standing as well as upstairs walls with window openings. Large stone wall exists across the front with stone sundial in the front yard. There is no roof on the building. The footprint of the building is 1,900 square feet.

The property has two entrances both from the island main road, one with large stone estate pillars.

Sources [sourced 16/10/2015]

Estate Information (6)

What is this?

[Number of enslaved people] 213(Tot) 111(F) 102(M)  
[Name] Stoney Grove  

Return of James Tobin Esq., owner; returned by William McPhail

T71/364 181-185
[Number of enslaved people] 215(Tot) 111(F) 104(M)  
[Name] Stoney Grove  

Return of George Tobin Esq., owner; returned by Adam Ritchie

T71/365 247-249
[Number of enslaved people] 205(Tot) 106(F) 99(M)  
[Name] Stoney Grove  

Return of George Tobin Esq., owner; returned by William Murray

T71/366 170-171
[Number of enslaved people] 210(Tot) 106(F) 104(M)  
[Name] Stony Grove  

Return of Charles Pinney Esq., owner; returned by Henry Ransford

T71/367 174-176
[Number of enslaved people] 209(Tot) 106(F) 103(M)  
[Name] Stony Grove  

Return of Pinney, Amis and Co.; returned by Henry Ransford

T71/368 200-201
[Number of enslaved people] 211(Tot)  
[Name] Stoney Grove  

Return of Messrs Pinney and Case, owners; returned by Charles Clifton Caines, manager; this entry is accompanied by a petition from Peter Thomas Huggins as attorney to Charles Pinney Esquire of the City of Bristol who explains that Pinney was in England at the time of the [previous] registration and left it to "Walter Lewis Bucke and Philp Protheroe Claxton Esquires as his attorneys to transact all business during his absence". However, they did not register the enslaved on this estate. Asks that the present list to be accepted under the Registry Act provision that the enslaved could be registered in the return after the one from which they'd been omitted.

T71/369 199-200