Profile & Legacies Summary
- Book-keeper at Stirling Castle estate in St Thomas-in-the-Vale, Jamaica, in the early 1820s. His fellow book-keeper, Benjamin McMahon, described how Lally told him not to react to the cruelty of the overseer Mr. Sharkey, even if Sharkey "were to kill, burn, and destroy the people". Lally also considered it disrespectful for enslaved people to laugh in his presence and punished them severely for it.
- Benjamin McMahon, Jamaica Plantership: Eighteen Years Employed in the Planting Line in that Island (1839) pp. 31-33.
We are grateful to Siddharth Singh Ahlawat for his assistance with compiling this entry.
Associated Estates (1)
The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:
- SD - Association Start Date
- SY - Association Start Year
- EA - Earliest Known Association
- ED - Association End Date
- EY - Association End Year
- LA - Latest Known Association
1823 [EA] - → Book-keeper