Golden Rock

Estate Details

Associated People (7)

The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:

  • SD - Association Start Date
  • SY - Association Start Year
  • EA - Earliest Known Association
  • ED - Association End Date
  • EY - Association End Year
  • LA - Latest Known Association
- 1758 [EY] → Owner

Inferred by LBS to have been an estate of John Mills given the later ownership by Henry Combe Compton and Sir William John Pole. A brief overview of the Mills Papers at the Museum of London in Docklands says Golden Rock was owned by Thomas and John Mills, which in theory might refer to this John Mills or to the London merchant of the same name.

1758 [SY] - 1799 [EY] → Tenant-for-life
1758 [SY] - 1787 [EY] → Tenant-for-life
1787 [SY] - 1803 [EY] → Not known

Either co-tenant-for-life or joint owner

- 1777 [EY] → Mortgage Holder

The will of Peter Leheup of St George Hanover Square proved 28/05/1777, PROB 11/1031/291 showed him as the mortgagee as to £7000 on the St Kitts estates of John Mills. LBS has inferred these estates to have been Golden Rock and Mills.

1817 [EA] - 1834 [LA] → Joint owner
1817 [EA] - 1834 [LA] → Joint owner

Associated Claims (1)

£2,784 8S 4D

Estate Information (8)

What is this?

[Name] None given  

A deed of 1807 (which LBS has not read) concerning estates on St Kitts inferred by LBS to have been Golden Rock and Mills, had as parties William Templer Pole; Scrope Berdmore and Andrew Drummond Berkeley the executors of John Compton (q.v.) the father of Henry Combe Compton (Pole's co-owner of the St Kitts' estate); Pole's uncle the banker George Templer; and two others, Archives at Yale, Deed between William Temple [sic] Pole, Scrope Berdmore, Andrew Berkeley Drummond, George Templer, Owen Putland Meyrick, and William Lowndes Stone, for several plantations and lands in several parishes, 1807 June 23, [accessed 06/05/2020]. Owen Putland Meyrick and William Lowndes Stone [then known as William Lowndes] were the sons-in-law and trustees of Richard Garth [formerly of Morden Hall Park but now] of Kensington, whose will was proved 02/07/1787, PROB 11/1155/44, but no connection has yet been traced by LBS between Richard Garth and the St Kitts estates descending from John Mills later owned by Sir William Templer Pole and Henry Combe Compton.

[Number of enslaved people] 139(Tot)  
[Name] [no name given]  

Return of Sir William Pole Bart. and Henry C Compton Esq, joint owners.

T 71/253 058 to 061
[Number of enslaved people] 134(Tot)  
[Name] Golden Rock  

Return of Henry Combe Compton Esq and Sir William Pole Bart., joint owners; returned by William Phipps, attorney.

T 71/255 23
[Number of enslaved people] 138(Tot)  
[Name] Golden Rock  

Return of Henry Combe Compton Esq and Sir William Pole Bart., joint owners; returned by Charles Adamson, attorney; the name of estate is listed in the index but not in the entry.

T 71/256 94-95
[Name] Golden Rock  
[Size] 149  
[Crop] sugar  

Listed in St Peter Basseterre as an estate of 149 acres in William McMahon's 1828 map of St Kitts with 130 acres of caneland. Proprietor(s) Messrs. Compton and Poole.

William McMahon, A New Topographical Map of the Island of Saint Christopher, West Indies... (1828)
[Number of enslaved people] 147(Tot)  
[Name] Golden Rock  

Return of William Adamson, attorney for the estate of Sir William Pole Bart. and Henry Combe Compton Esq, joint owners. St. Peter, Basseterre

T 71/258 33-34
[Number of enslaved people] 158(Tot)  
[Name] Golden Rock  

Return of Henry Comb Compton Esq and Sir William Pole Bart., joint owners ; returned by Charles Adamson, attorney.

T 71/259 43-44
[Number of enslaved people] 166(Tot)  
[Name] Golden Rock  

Return of Messrs Compton and Pole, joint owners; returned by William Adamson, attorney.

T 71/260 42