Profile & Legacies Summary
1812 - ????
Claimant or beneficiary
Robert Anderson of Eaton Place, London, awarded 2/5ths of the compensation for the Hatton Garden estate on Dominica as administrator of the will of his father James Anderson.
- The will referred to in the compensation records has been identified as that of James Anderson of New City Chambers [but shortly intending to embark for the West Indies], proved 07/01/1823. In that will (made 31/03/1821), James Anderson described Robert Anderson as 'my reputed son' by 'Elizabeth Preston otherwise Elizabeth Evans now living with me', born 16/07/1812 and baptised 16/01/1817 at St Giles in the Fields: the boy was at Mr Richards Boarding House, Camden Street at the time the will was made. Among James Anderson's assets was an amount of £1921 purchased from his brother Alexander Purcell Anderson, part of a £4000 mortgage over Brower's Bay estate and the enslaved people on it on Tortola due from their brother Andrew Anderson, which he left to Andrew Anderson's children. Robert Anderson was the residuary legatee and on 06/11/1835 was granted administration of the will, left unadministered by the original executors, including William Coles (deceased) and William Manning (who renounced his executorship).
T71/881 Dominica claim nos. 146 (Hatton Garden) and 147. T71/1233: counterclaims show Robt Anderson of Eaton Ple, Eaton Sq. Pimlico, London, as cestui que trust under an indre of assignment of a mortgage dated 26/06/1820 and Robert Anderson at Mr Frederick Leuths (sp?) surgeon Homerton Middlesex, administrator to his father James Anderson's will.
- PROB 11/1665/23.
Associated Claims (2)
Associated Estates (1)
The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:
- SD - Association Start Date
- SY - Association Start Year
- EA - Earliest Known Association
- ED - Association End Date
- EY - Association End Year
- LA - Latest Known Association
1823 [SY] - 1834 [LA] → Mortgage Holder
Eaton Place, London, Middlesex, London, England