Archibald Stewart of Tobago
Profile & Legacies Summary
???? - 1779
Son of Sir Michael Stewart 3rd bart., brother of Sir John Stewart and Houston Stewart-Nicholson, and uncle of Sir Michael Shaw Stewart (q.v.). Archibald Stewart was killed in Tobago in 1779 'repulsing some American privateers.' He was probably the Archibald Stuart shown as the mercantile partner of John Paul Jones in the early 1770s.
- Early land purchaser in Tobago. Archibald Stewart purchased Queens Bay division (St Paul parish) Lot no. 18 (200 acres) 05/06/1770. By 1773 he owned both this Lot and Queens Bay division (St Paul parish) Lot no. 5 (500 acres), originally purchased by D. Mill and A. Young 19/03/1767. The two Lots became the Roxborough estate, which he released to his brother Sir Michael Stewart in 1775.
J. Montgomery Seaver Stewart Family Records p. 9; John Paul Jones, Life and Correspondence of John Paul Jones: Including His Narrative of the campaign of the Liman (New York, 1830) p. 25 which gives Arch. Stuart.
- 'Tables showing the Lots in each Parish, numbered as originally granted - the original Grantee - the name of the Lot, or lots, if one has been acquired, and the present Possessor where there is one' and 'A Table, showing the Estates in cultivation in 1832, and their Owners, in 1832, copied from the list appended to Byres' map of that date, with those in cultivation in 1862', Henry Iles Woodcock, A History of Tobago (Ayr: Smith and Grant, 1867; new impression London: Frank Cass and Company Limited, 1971); John Fowler, A summary account of the present flourishing state of the respectable colony of Tobago in the British West Indies illustrated with a map of the island and a plan of its settlement, agreeably to the sales by his Majesty’s Commissioners (London: A Grant, 1774),pp. 50-51; Kenneth E. Ingram, Manuscript Soucrces for the History of the West Indies item 0243.
Associated Estates (1)
The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:
- SD - Association Start Date
- SY - Association Start Year
- EA - Earliest Known Association
- ED - Association End Date
- EY - Association End Year
- LA - Latest Known Association
05/06/1770 [SD] - 1775 [EY] → Joint owner