Profile & Legacies Summary
???? - 1829
Resident slave-owner whose estate Orange River was indebted to the Mitchells of London, who received the bulk of compensation.
- Will of William Stewart of Clarendon Jamaica proved 14/12/1829. He left his property for life to his wife to pay off his debts, to support herself and to give good education to his children and a profession to his son, and as his wife would have no further use 'than this' for the money arising form his estate he left £5000 to each of his daughters Mary, Elizabeth and Sarah and the remainder to his [unnamed] son.
Mary; Elizabeth; Sarah; and a son
Associated Estates (2)
The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:
- SD - Association Start Date
- SY - Association Start Year
- EA - Earliest Known Association
- ED - Association End Date
- EY - Association End Year
- LA - Latest Known Association
1823 [EA] - 1828 [LA] → Owner
1830 [EA] - 1839 [LA] → Previous owner