James Russell Madan
Profile & Legacies Summary
???? - 1788
Son of Martin Madan of Nevis (d. 1703) and brother of Col. Martin Madan (q.v.). James Russell Madan's parents had settled two [unnamed] estates on Nevis on him, according to his father's will.
- Will of James Russell Madan of [Green Street, parish of] St George Hanover Square proved 02/12/1788. Under the will he left to 'my daughter Penelope Madan by Anna Maria Whitby deceased' £5000 and his leasehold house on Green Street. He made a number of minor (£50) bequests to charities in London. He had, he said, by an indenture of 13/05/1784 agreed to sell to Walter Nesbitt [sic] (then of St George Hanover but now of Nevis) his [Madan's] plantations in St James' parish on Nevis known as Hog Valley and [illegible, but possibly Lower or Low Ground] together with the enslaved people on them, which plantations were leased to Nesbitt [q.v., under Walter Nisbet] for the remainder of a term of 21 years, in exchange for £5000 at the end the lease. Subject to this indenture, he left the estates in trust to his two nephews Spencer Madan, Martin Madan and Penelope Madan, to pay the income from the lease to Penelope for her life; she inherited the remainder of Madan's property for life, which then went after her death to the next of kin.
Married but no further details
Associated Estates (1)
The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:
- SD - Association Start Date
- SY - Association Start Year
- EA - Earliest Known Association
- ED - Association End Date
- EY - Association End Year
- LA - Latest Known Association
- 1784 [LA] → Owner
Green Street, London, Middlesex, London, England