Profile & Legacies Summary
???? - 1795
London merchant, partner with Thomas Boddington of Clapton (q.v) and then with Samuel and Benjamin Boddington jun.
- Will of Thomas Bettesworth merchant of Great Tower Hill City of London proved 02/12/1795. He left to his wife Anne Bettesworth his property at Black Raven Court in Great Tower Hill in the occupation of John Sims, and 'all those my negroe and other slaves now in lease to Mrs Catherine Ballantyne' and on her estate, 'and the issue and progeny of the females of the said slaves'. He left his farms at Billinghurst to his legitimate issue if any, failing whom to his sister Mary Denyer fro life and then in entail to his nephew Richard Bettesworth Denyer, failing whom to his niece Ann Denyer and failing whom to his wife's son, Jukes [?] Coulson, by her first marriage. In a codicil he left mourning rings to his Boddington partners and to the captains of the ships employed by Boddingtons & Bettesworth. He also provided an itemised list of 'effects': Estates at Billinghurst £7000; house and furniture at Great Tower Hill £4000; ditto at Black Raven Court £600; Arts. of stock per ledger £8000; profit and loss expected balance £5000; expected gain on cotton in hand £2000; Insurance at Westminster Office £5000; ditto at Equitable £4000, for a gross total of £35,600: deductions were £11,000 for sundry losses per old ledger to acct. for; ditto to be allowed B & Co. on settling acct. £3500; funeral £200; legacies £5891; rings £19, totalling £20,610. £7000 of the net total of £14990 was left to his relations at Billinghurst, leaving net £7990 to his wife. She also had £460 p.a. from 'Coulsons House'.
Associated Estates (1)
The dates listed below have different categories as denoted by the letters in the brackets following each date. Here is a key to explain those letter codes:
- SD - Association Start Date
- SY - Association Start Year
- EA - Earliest Known Association
- ED - Association End Date
- EY - Association End Year
- LA - Latest Known Association
1792 [SY] - → Mortgage Holder
Great Tower Hill, City of London, Middlesex, South-east England, England